Connecting vehicles and infrastructure
Connected vehicles communicate with infrastructure and other vehicles surrounding them to provide the driver with information for travel decisions. This session will focus on connectivity technologies that will transform road transport in the coming years, including vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) technology. It will examine issues for passenger as well as freight traffic, including technological requirements for connectivity, international standardisation, safety and enforcement implications. Possible funding sources for implementation will also be discussed.
- Vehicle connectivity is paving the way for enhanced navigation, real-time traffic and parking information, streaming info-tainment and integration between dashboards, smartphones and wearable devices. (International Organization for Standardization, On the road to transport connectivity, https://www.iso.org/news/2016/09/Ref2114.html)
- Up to 84% of annual vehicles sold globally in 2035 could be connected and/or autonomous according to market forecasts. (Transport Systems Catapult, Market Forecast for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles, July 2017 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/642813/15780_TSC_Market_Forecast_for_CAV_Report_FINAL.pdf
- What are the technological and standardisation requirements for connected vehicles of the future? What is the role of international cooperation in this?
- What are possible funding options for implementation of V2V and V2I connectivity in passenger and freight transport fleets?
- How can related communication, data storage and sharing be accomplished in a controlled and secure manner?
- What are the enforcement implications and how could the connectivity of the vehicles be used to enhance their operational performance as a part of the supply chain? What are the benefits to logistics?
- Smart Use of Roads, ITF Report, https://www.itf-oecd.org/smart-use-roads
- Data-led Governance of Road Freight Transport: Improving Compliance, https://www.itf-oecd.org/data-led-governance-road-freight-transport
- Commercial Vehicle On-Board Safety Systems Roundtable, https://www.itf-oecd.org/commercial-vehicle-safety-systems-roundtable
- Safer Roads with Automated Vehicles? https://www.itf-oecd.org/safer-roads-automated-vehicles-0
- Automated and Autonomous Driving, https://www.itf-oecd.org/automated-and-autonomous-driving
- Policies to Extend the Life of Road Assets, https://www.itf-oecd.org/policies-extend-life-road-assets