Global Approach for Safer Motorcycling
Official Side Event
Increasing numbers of people in both developed and Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs) are choosing to use Powered Two Wheelers (PTW). To secure safe and sustainable use of this low-polluting and low-congesting mode of personal mobility, transport planning policies need to integrate PTW-use and recognise the benefits that PTWs make in society, business and emergency transport.
According to the recent Global Status Report by the WHO, the proportion of PTW user fatalities increased to 28% of all traffic fatalities globally in 2016. Urgent action is needed to reverse this trend. Integrating PTW Safety policy requires immediate attention at all levels: international, regional, national, and local.
Goal and Approach of the Side Event
The goal is to discuss road safety problems related to powered two wheelers and ideas about effectively reduce these problems. Results of this event will be brought to the attention of the upcoming 3rd Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety, relevant forums. groups and stakeholders.
After an introduction to the situation, an open roundtable discussion is held with global institutional experts, governments, industry, user organisations, road safety experts and other key stakeholders, moderated by Professor Fred Wegman. The audience will be invited to participate.
- Minister Ángela María Orozco Gómez, Minister of Transport, Republic of Colombia
- Mr Prof. Anders Lie, Special Advisor, Swedish Ministry of Infrastructure
- Mr Andi Hartanto, Secretary General of the Federation of Asian Motorcycle Industries (FAMI)
- Mr Andrew McKellar, Secretary General, FIA Mobility
- Mr Edwin Bastiaensen, Secretary General, International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA)
- Mr Ferry Smith, Steering Committee International Road Assessment Programme (iRAP) and Chair EuroRAP
- Mr Prof Fred Wegman. Professor Emeritus Traffic Safety at Delft University of Technology, Chairman of IRTAD – International Traffic Safety Data and Analysis Group
- Mr Jesper Christensen, Director of Public Affairs, International Federation of Motorcyclists (FIM)
- Mr Joel Valmain, Adviser to the Interministerial Delegate for Road Safety, Government of France
- Mr Nhan Tran PhD, Coordinator Unintentional Injury Prevention Unit, World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Mrs Susanna Zammataro, Director General, International Road Federation (IRF)
- Mrs Veronique Feypell de la Beaumelle, International Transport Forum
Contact: M. Edwin Bastiaensen, Secretary General, IMMA, firstname.lastname@example.org